Why Elderberry Syrup
Elderberries are particularly rich in flavonoids especially anthocyanins these work deep in supporting the immune system and keeping it strong and resilient. Some research suggests that anthocyanins in elderberries boost the production of cytokines. These are protein's that act as messengers for the immune system, this helps to support the bodys immune system.
They have been used for centuries to treat
- Cystitis/Urinary Tract/Bladder Infections
- Allergy Relief
- Digestive Health
Why add oils?
The specific oils I added are very well known at helping to support a healthy immune system. Thieves was inspired by the Legend of four 15th-Century French thieves who covered themselves with Rosemary, Clove and other specific botanicals that they used while robbing the dying, and the dead during the plague. When they were caught people intrigued and wanted to know why they never became ill. I added in oregano as this ones is a very potent essential oil that is also a great addition to help give the immune system a good boost. Lemon and Cinnamon I added mostly to give it a extra sweet flavor but both of those vitality oils also are excellent at supporting the immune system as well!
Please note that not all essential oils are safe for ingestion. These are non GMO and approved for ingestion by the FDA. In addition, I decided on essential oils over herbs because therapeutic essential oils are 75-100x more potent than herbs. Giving me a bigger boost to my immune system!!
1 cup of dried elderberries (you can get them from a health food store)
2 cups of water
1/2 cup of local raw unfiltered honey.
Vitality Essential oils of your choice
- Add 1 cup of dried elderberries, and 2 cups of water to crock pot. Cook on low all day about 8-10 hours. I periodically stirred mine.
- Put berries in mesh strainer and push out as much liquid with a spoon as you can. Do this with the whole bath of berries.
- Add 1/2 cup of honey or more for your sweetness to warm liquid and stir to mix well.
- Let cool and add your Vitality oils
- 3 drops Lemon Vitality 5 drops Thieves Vitality 2 drops Cinnamon Bark Vitality 1 drop Oregano Vitality
- Add to a airtight container like a canning jar.