There's a really great (kind of scary) app that I downloaded a few years ago when we started our journey of toxin-free living. It's called "Think Dirty." It basically allows you to scan your personal care products, and it assigns them a toxicity rating on a scale of 1 to 10 (with 10 being the worst) based on its ingredients. I really wanted to eliminate as many chemicals as possible from my environment in an effort to improve my health, particularly my respiratory function, which was always an issue. After a few quick scans, I quickly discovered that I was a victim of good marketing. Everything in my bathroom was "green washed" and said things like "natural" or "pure." But what does that really mean? In the world of personal care products and cosmetics, it means absolutely nothing. Interestingly enough, one of the most toxic items in my bathroom was actually baby shampoo! Yes, the very thing I was scrubbing my eye makeup off with every day and considered washing my newborn baby with was actually a big fat load of cancer-causing toxicity. What a fun discovery!
Did you know that the average person applies 300 chemicals to their body every single day – and about 80 of those are before breakfast? Many chemicals found in our products are not tested for safety. Others have been linked to hormonal disruption, respiratory ailments and even cancer. I have seen noticeable differences in my health – most notably in my immune system and respiratory function – since transitioning to a nontoxic lifestyle. I am SO thankful that Young Living provides us with high quality options that we don’t have to second guess. If you’re serious about transitioning to a chemical-free home but you're not sure where to begin or which of your household items to ditch and switch first, here are some of my top product recommendations (outside of the oils). These are things we use in our home every single day and LOVE:
1. Thieves Household Cleaner
– The smaller bottle of concentrate will literally last you 3-4 months and replace every toxic cleaner in your home. Plus it's so safe, our toddlers can even go around the house spraying it on everything in sight.
3. Really…Just all the Thieves products. We love them all.
4. Pure Protein Complete Chocolate
– Hands down the BEST tasting and highest quality protein powder I have ever encountered. We mix it into smoothies every morning for ourselves and the kids, and it keeps us going for hours.
5. Ningxia Red
–Another game changer for your overall health. This is how we get the nutrients our bodies need (including our picky kids!) without having to eat POUNDS of fruit and veggies daily. Check out this video - https://youtu.be/TB1ZlBJUYuA
6. Meadow Mist Deodorant
– Smells amazing. Works well. Plant-based and extremely safe and non-irritating.
10. Sandalwood Moisture Cream
– Amazing facial moisturizer, and it lasts FOREVER. As with all YL products, a little bit goes a long way.
11. Genesis Hand & Body Lotion
– If you’re a lotion freak, this is the richest, most moisturizing body lotion ever. We use this on our B&B guest rooms, and they all rave about it.
12. Progessence Plus
– Game changer for women. This is a natural form of progesterone (derived from yams) that helps to balance our body’s hormones. Regulates periods, helps with menopausal symptoms, relieves monthly discomfort, helps with mood, increases libido, and SO much more. Use it daily.
13. Life 9 Probiotic
– About 80% of your immune systems lives in your gut. Your gut bacteria needs constant replenishing whether you realize it or not. This is an extremely potent, high quality, time release probiotic that has done wonders for my digestive and immune function.
If you are a Young Living member and you find yourself ordering products regularly like we do, you should absolutely take advantage of the Essential Rewards program. Otherwise, that's just free money down the drain! Our family has been utilizing Essential Rewards at 300PV/month for nearly four years now. It’s how we have been able to cost-efficiently ditch toxic, chemical-laden products and replace them with safe, plant-based products – all while saving THOUSANDS of dollars. Literally. Here's more info on how it works: https://youtu.be/2ThONHudUOY
Need other oil or product recommendations? Don't hesitate to reach out!
Inn With The Oils