Everyone loves a good guacamole, right? And with all of the health benefits of avocados, you can feel good about eating it.
Avocados have a variety of nutrients, including 20 different vitamins and minerals including Vitamin K, Folate, Vitamin C, Potassium, Vitamin B5, Vitamin B6 and Vitamin E. They also contains small amounts of magnesium, manganese, copper, iron, zinc, phosphorous and vitamins A, B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin) and B3 (niacin).
Avocados contain healthy fats and are also low in carbohydrates, but contain no cholesterol or sodium so they can fit a variety of diet plans.
So grab those avocados and get munching! Enjoy!
- 2 avocados
- 2 drops Citrus Fresh™ Vitality
- 1 drop Lime Vitality
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 1–2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Pinch salt
- Pinch black pepper
- Remove the pit from the avocados and scoop the flesh into a bowl, mashing roughly with a fork.
- Add all other ingredients and stir until mixed.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- Enjoy with tortilla chips or with your favorite Mexican-inspired dishes!
So, you may have heard a new name popping up in the world of food: Einkorn. I first heard about it a few years ago when I read the book "Wheat Belly" in my effort to learn about gluten and it's effects on the body.
What's all the fuss you ask? Isn't wheat just wheat? Well, the answer is "no". The wheat you are used to eating, whether it's refined or whole or organic, is the result of years of hybridization. Scientists have worked hard to make the wheat have higher yields, be more resistant to disease and pests. Instead of the 4 1/2 foot tall stalks of Einkorn, we now have wheat that grows 18-24 inches. While this all sounds great, your body is not equipped to digest this "new" wheat. Just one difference: this new wheat has 42 chromosomes, compared to Einkorn's 14. Is that really a big deal? Dr. William Davis states "The genetic distance modern wheat has drifted exceeds the difference between chimpanzees and humans." Whoa. Genetically that's a huge difference!
And what about nutritional differences? I'm glad you asked!
- Einkorn contains 3 to 4 times more beta-carotene
- Einkorn contains 2 times more Vitamin A (retinol equivalent)
- Einkorn contains 3 to 4 times more lutein
- Einkorn contains 4-5 times more riboflavin
So, the really awesome thing is that Gary Young has been growing einkorn and Young Living is now offering several products featuring this wheat. Here is how they describe it:
"Einkorn is the original “staff-of-life” grain, known as the oldest variety of wheat, which dates back to the beginning of time. Einkorn’s natural genetic code and low gluten levels make it a superior choice because of the compatibility with the human body when compared to the modern hybrid wheat of today. Einkorn grain is easier to digest, so nutrients are better absorbed. Today Young Living is helping to bring einkorn back to its rightful prominence in the world."
Young Living has the following Einkorn wheat products:
- Einkorn Rotini Pasta
- Gary's True Grit Einkorn Granola
- Gary's True Grit Einkorn Flour
- Gary's True Grit Einkorn Pancake & Waffle Mix
- Gary's True Grit Einkorn Spaghetti, 8 oz
Now, the final question you might have is whether einkorn wheat is gluten free or not. It does have gluten! But not a lot. And since the proteins in it are different, you may be able to tolerate it. I can't make that decision for you. What I can tell you is that I have a gluten sensitivity, and for me, it's ok to have YL's einkorn products with no problems. If you are celiac I would not recommend you go out and consume a lot of einkorn, LOL. But for some of us, it's a nice option to be able to have these products and enjoy some of the foods we've been missing.
I have a lot more to say on modern wheat and it's effects on the body, but I'll save that for a different post. For now, go do some research for yourself. If you want to see my original FB post on "Wheat Belly" you can find it here.
If you are already a Young Living member and you want to grab your own einkorn products, click HERE to sign in to Virtual Office. And if you want more information on becoming a Young Living member, please visit my website to see what options are available to you.
I love to cook with my Young Living essential oils and this is a crowd favorite at parties. I only trust the quality and purity of Young Living essential oils for my recipes!
Prep Time: 7 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 4–6 servings
- 16 ounces raw cashews
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves removed
- The peel of 1 lemon, pith removed
- 4 drops Rosemary Vitality
- 2 drops Lemon Vitality
- ¾ teaspoon coarse sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place the nuts on a baking sheet and roast for about 8–10 minutes, until warm and lightly golden.
- In the meantime, warm the olive oil, fresh rosemary, and lemon zest in a small skillet over medium heat until it begins to sizzle and smells fragrant. Add the roasted cashews and stir to coat completely.
- Remove from heat and stir in the Rosemary Vitality, Lemon Vitality, and salt. Serve warm.