It may be a must-have, but this rare plant is also a little mysterious, so we’re giving you eight fun facts and tips about this favorite essential oil for your inner botanist! Go ahead and use them to flex your EO knowledge at your next party—you’re sure to establish yourself among your friends as the essential oil guru.
1. Helichrysum flowers are sometimes called Immortelle, or the Everlasting Flower, possibly because of the way its essential oil can smooth the appearance of fine lines and uneven skin tone. Home spa night, anyone?
2. Helichrysum is a self-seeding plant in the sunflower family. It grows native in rocky and sandy terrains throughout the Mediterranean. If you love Helichrysum oil, you should probably book a Mediterranean vacation to go see it for yourself ASAP. Just saying.
3. The word “helichrysum” comes from Latin and Greek roots, meaning “gold spiral.” Its beautiful, tiny golden blossoms definitely deserve the name.
4. Hit a slump? Throw some Helichrysum and Eucalyptus Radiata into your diffuser. The fresh, earthy, invigorating scent will perk your space right up and help you refocus on that mile-long to-do list. It probably wouldn’t hurt during homework time either.
5 Tiny flowers mean tiny yields of essential oil. We steam distill the delicate blossoms of this plant, and while we don’t get much oil from each distillation, that oil has a rich and complex profile of the naturally occurring constituents neryl acetate, gamma-curcumene, and alpha-pinene.
6. Hitting the gym? One of our top Helichrysum oil uses is sports massage. Add a few drops of Helichrysum and Peppermint to V-6™ Vegetable Oil Complex and knead into muscles wherever you need it. Believe us—that treadmill won’t look so daunting tomorrow.
7. Helichrysum is typically harvested wild from the rocky shores of Croatia’s Dalmatia region, but Young Living’s helichrysum is cultivated at our farm in Split, Croatia. By cultivating this rare plant, Young Living is helping to protect it from exploitation and over harvesting. In using our Helichrysum essential oil, you’re helping support sustainable agriculture. Doesn’t that feel good?
8. Skin dull and dry from time out in the sun? Help revive it with a soothing, aromatic combination of Helichrysum, Lavender, and coconut oil. Gently massage the mixture onto your skin, then kick back with a honey-lavender lemonade for a total inside-out reprieve from the heat.
1. Calms Lip Blemishes
Many people apply oregano oil to lip blemishes with the belief it will help soothe the area and accelerate healing time. Research is ongoing to pinpoint the validity of this use. Carvacrol may promote resistance against the harmful organisms that cause lip blemishes.
2. Helps with Food Preservation
Spices and herbs, like oregano, have a long history of food preservation and safety. Many types of food, especially raw meat, are a haven for harmful bacteria. Oregano oil may help resist harmful organisms. In one study, a concentrated application of carvacrol slowed the growth of lab cultures or caused them to stop multiplying altogether. Other studies show that essential oils, including oregano, halt the spread of organisms in spoiled fruit juice and aged meat.
3. Soothes Muscle Discomfort
Oregano itself is tremendously soothing and research shows that oregano oil may be helpful for reducing muscle discomfort.
4. Promotes Intestinal Balance
Maintaining a proper balance of healthy bacteria in your intestines and gut is crucial for supporting good health. A healthy colony of intestinal flora encourages proper digestion and boosts the immune system. Good bacteria also support the immune system and help balance mood. Carvacrol may help promote gut health by creating an appropriate balance of good bacteria and bad bacteria.
5. Eases Bone and Joint Discomfort
Swelling and redness of the joints is an uncomfortable ailment that affects many people. Preliminary studies suggest that carvacrol may offer hope for soothing bones and joints.
6. Resists Harmful OrganismsIf you travel to underdeveloped areas of the world, you’ll be exposed to organisms that can wreak havoc on your health. Avoiding the water may be insufficient. Harmful organisms in the natural environment carry a high risk, especially if the body is already in poor health. Research has shown that carvacrol may support the body’s natural response to toxic invaders.
7. Encourages Normal Yeast Balance
Yeast and fungus exist everywhere, even on and in the human body; total eradication is next to impossible. Balance, however, is both desirable and achievable with the help of carvacrol. In a study that examined the use of essential oils as a means to address fungus, carvacrol was among the most effective. Likewise, oregano oil is helpful for promoting balanced candida, a fungus that commonly falls out of balance from poor diet, stress, or antibiotics.
8. Supports Liver Health
Toxins exist in our water, food, and even the air we breathe. The ever-present barrage of toxins in our environment is extraordinary, and the burden it places on the liver is equally mind boggling. Carvacrol may support normal function of the liver, the body’s primary detoxifying organ.
9. Boosts the Immune System
Gut health, toxins, and lifestyle all play a role in your body’s ability to stay healthy. Oregano oil supports many of the critical factors that ultimately contribute to a strong immune system. In addition to oregano oil’s ability to encourage better gut health, it supplies the body with powerful antioxidants. Eating a healthy diet rich in plants, like oregano, encourages a balanced, healthy environment within your body.